NOTE: In addition to the college membership application (“Apply for this Program Now”), students interested in ATC must also follow the selective access process delineated below.
To take advantage of AT-CTI hiring preferences, student must earn the Aviation Operations A.S. degree (2354) described elsewhere. Completion of the technical certificate courses alone will not result in AT-CTI designation.
The Aviation Operations AT-CTI technical certificate is a selective access track. Applicants must meet the following Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Employment Restrictions.
Florida State College has no restrictions on age or physical conditions of students. However, students pursuing a career in air traffic control should take note of the following FAA requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must pass an Air Traffic-Selection and Training (AT-SAT) or Office of Personnel Management (OPM) examination administered by the FAA.
- 30-year-old maximum age restriction for employment in terminal or en route options.
- Security screening background check.
- Must meet the medical requirements of FAR 65 and 67 (FAA Class II Pilot medical while in a student status).
The ATC program requires extensive reading and interpretation of technical information. The ATC Specialist requires good hand/eye coordination and English language proficiency.
Students should be aware that completing the program requirements does not guarantee employment with the FAA.
This program does not provide a Florida state technical certificate but does provide a Florida State College certificate.
Selective Access Process
To meet the minimum requirements for consideration for acceptance to the Aviation Operations AT-CTI program, students must:
- Be currently enrolled at Florida State College.
- Have submitted their Aviation Operations AT-CTI application by the deadline for the term for which they are applying.
- Have completed or be currently enrolled in the ATC prerequisite classes prior to the application deadline. For each prerequisite, a grade of at least a “C” must be achieved, and an overall college GPA of 2.0 must be maintained.
Need More Information?
View Program Information and Contacts